Fall Soup Recipe | Foggy Weather Soup | Chicken Pot Pie

It's been cold and foggy often in the past week which always makes me crave warm comfort foods for dinner. So for the first-ever post here at Copper Country Living, I've decided to share with all of you one of my favorite cold weather recipes- Chicken Pot Pie Soup.

Foggy Weather Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup

My mom used to make this when I was a kid, and I have no idea where she got the recipe from (probably a cookbook or a friend). I've modified it over the years, and no offense to mom, but I think my version is better. My husband and the kids gobble it up and the recipe makes plenty of servings so we usually get at least two days worth.

I've placed the instructions in bold so you can easily skim passed my side notes if you want- they aren't critical to making the recipe work. Without further ado, let's get started.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

First you'll want to gather the ingredients listed below. You'll also need a skillet/frying pan, soup pot, spoon (I prefer wooden, but any long handled spoon works), and measuring utensils.

Ingredients:

1-2 tbs olive oil
2.5-3.5 cups water
32oz chicken broth
1-2 lbs chicken breast
1 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
1 medium onion
2 stalks celery
3-4 medium carrots
3-4 medium potatoes
1 cup potato starch (instant potatoes)
2 tbs corn starch

Instructions:

1. Cut the chicken breast into roughly 1/2 to 1 inch chunks, brown in skillet with olive oil, garlic, and onion- chopped.




I like to do all my meat chopping first, so I don't have to wash my hands as often. I usually buy the hand-trimmed chicken breast from my local super market's meat section because they sell it in the 1-2 lbs quantity I'm looking for. Any chicken meat will do, and if you wanted to experiment you could probably use chunks of turkey as a substitute. White onions are pictured here, as that's what I had on hand when I made this a few days ago, but yellow and red onions also make it taste great. I buy garlic already minced because I don't have the time or wherewithal to mince it myself, but fresh garlic is always an option.

Side note, I love my copper frying pan. We got it at Walmart 2 years ago for less than $20, and the darn thing has survived my husband cooking with it (regular teflon pans did not).

2. Add meat and onions/garlic to soup pot with chicken broth and water. Chop and add carrots, potatoes, and celery.

I used red potatoes and left the skins on, but any potatoes would work. My mom always uses Yukon gold, and I've used several different types in the past- usually what ever I have on hand. We eat a ton of potatoes (a yooper staple) and so the type I choose is mostly decided by what is cheapest or best looking in the store.

The carrots pictured here came from our patch in the back yard. We don't have a long growing season, so we don't get monster carrots. Our garden grows more rocks than veggies, which is more or less a curse of living where we do. Store bought carrots work well too, though I personally don't think they taste as good.


At this point I usually turn the heat on. It's fine to wait until all the ingredients are added, but it takes forever to start boiling and I have no patience.

3. Add spices.


I love McCormick spices, since they are the largest variety on our store shelves around here. In case it isn't obvious yet, we live basically in the middle of nowhere and cooking ingredients are limited to what appears on the store shelves in the singular grocery store we have in town.

Swanson chicken broth is my preference, but any will do- make you're own from scratch if you're crazy ambitious or don't have kids (I would seriously never have the time to make it from scratch). My mom makes everything without salt- so she opts for the low sodium version of the chicken broth and skips the salt entirely. It's an excellent modification if you're sensitive to salt or have a medical condition, such as high blood pressure, that prohibits too much salt intake.

4. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer. Simmer, covered, 1.5 to 2 hours, or until veggies are soft. Stir occasionally.


5. Add potato starch- stir in slowly. Remove from heat.

Potato starch is just instant potatoes uncooked. I spent hours searching the store for "potato starch" before admitting to my mom I had no idea what it was. She had a good laugh before telling me how to find it. I always select the plain "butter" variety and usually add the whole package.

6. Mix corn starch with 1/2 cup cold water in separate container, then slowly pour into soup, stir continuously.

I skip this step sometimes, it's just for thickening purposes. For instance- the kids used all my corn starch this summer for crafts, specifically "ooblik", and I didn't have any in the house when I made the batch pictured. Tastes just as good whether or not the corn starch is in there.

7. Serve and enjoy. (With crackers or biscuits)



The left is my husband's modification. He crushes Ritz crackers on every soup and pasta dish I make. Mine is on the right, I prefer it as-is or with bread/biscuits on the side. I didn't make any biscuits with this batch, but I usually add Pillsbury biscuits if I'm making soup for a special occasion or company. It's plenty filling without additions, and plenty for seconds- even for our family of four.

Hopefully you enjoy this delicious dish as much as I have. My mom's copy of the recipe has it handwritten on the top "kids say- YUMMY" so she'd remember it was a winner. I was such a picky eater as a kid, so she was always relieved when I exclaimed "yum" to anything she cooked.

Try it out for yourselves, and comment below with any questions, additions, or substitutions. I would love to hear how it turns out.

Until next time,
Emma Leigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write Letters to my Stepchildren

Loving Through the Mess- Painting

Christmas Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

River Fishing With Hubby