Deer Hunting Widow

I have a strange appreciation for this time of year.

Starting in September, Hubby goes out to his camp almost every day. It's about a 15 min drive from our house, maybe a little longer now that we've moved, and it's where he's been preparing and watching for his prized deer to kill. This year has been a quiet one, and he hasn't seen many. On October 1st, bow season started, and I've become what locals jokingly call a "deer hunting widow".

This year I've been much less a widow than last fall, since we just finished moving, but now that we've finished that project (thank heaven) he's started disappearing at dawn and dusk, or over night on the weekends. Should deer hunting ever make me an actual widow I'd be devastated, but I actually really like this time of year. I enjoy having the house all to myself, being able to watch whatever I want on TV, get cleaning projects done uninterrupted, and in general have alone time.

I love my alone time.


Right on cue this year, winter weather showed up in force for the end of Halloween and kickoff to November- we got plenty of fresh snow. Hubby woke up on Saturday like a kid on Christmas morning. He'd missed the sunrise hunting and paced around the house like a fidgety kid who had to wait until Grandma came over to open his presents.

First sticking snow this year


He eventually got to go out into the woods this weekend, but he hasn't shot anything yet. That's okay though. Bow season is still on-going and rifle season starts November 15th (it's practically a holiday around here) and runs through to the end of the month. He still has plenty of time to get his buck.

I'm not the only one who enjoys my husband-free time during November. It's celebrated by locals everywhere. Local downtown businesses host 'Ladies' Night' where they open their doors and have specials to draw in customers. I don't normally attend, since I'm not a
'shopping' person, but they seem to draw decent crowds of women out enjoying themselves.

I'm much more a homebody. I like being all snuggly and warm in the house during these wet and chilly transition times as the seasons change. I make myself a warm cup of tea, curl up with a good book or a knitting project, and just enjoy my peace and quiet. Of course, there's still the kids on the weekends and I usually start making dinner as it begins to get dark- that way it's ready right when Hubby gets home from his hunting.

And like any good Yooper girl, I do eventually make it out to camp myself. My family has celebrated Thanksgiving at our deer camp for many years now, and I usually make a trek out that way for the holidays. I'm not much for hunting myself, but I usually pack up my warm clothes so I can wander in the woods with my dad, and just enjoying chatting by the camp wood stove with my mom. She also enjoys deer season for the solitude, and uses it to get deep cleaning done at her home.

Fireside relaxing at camp


Deer Season in my family has been as much a holiday season as Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It's the next logical step as the days get shorter and the weather turns cold. And if Hubby gets lucky and shoots a deer- it stocks the freezer for the next year.

So to my hunters out there- best of luck and be safe.

Until next time,
Emma Leigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write Letters to my Stepchildren

Loving Through the Mess- Painting

River Fishing With Hubby

Christmas Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies