Christmas Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

Yesterday was the winter solstice, the darkest and coldest time of year.

Well, it isn't really the coldest. Earlier in the week would have been the coldest. Wednesday's windchill was a balmy -25°F. We've been having a warm snap rolling in to the weekend (it's currently 42°F). Heck the sun is even out right now. But the days have been undeniably short. Hubby and I both are shocked when we want to crawl in to bed but the clock only says 6pm. We've also been up to our eyeballs in snowfall and are measuring in at a little over 110 inches already this year. #winterproblems

Christmas Cookies

Christmas is right around the corner.


In preparation, Christmas cookies are on the to-do list. I'll likely make others yet before the week is up (the step kids will be here soon and I have to find something to keep them away from screens for the next 7 days) but the Peanut Butter Blossoms from the back of the Hershey's Kisses bag- they are my to-die-for cookie.

As a kid, every holiday season my mom would make these cookies with us. One year in particular, I couldn't have been much older than 5 or 6, she put me in charge of unwrapping all 48 kisses- but I couldn't eat any while I was unwrapping. Did I think I was responsible enough?

Little me nodded yes, of course I could do that task- I could even count to 48 all on my own! My mom left me to my task while she did the hard part of creaming butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon. And if you haven't done this before- it really is an arm workout.

I had completed my task by the time she was ready for the kisses, and I hadn't eaten a single full kiss exactly as instructed.

Christmas Kisses


But I had eaten the tip off of every single one I had unwrapped. The little choco-holic in me couldn't resist. It was several years before I was allowed to unwrap the kisses again.

It's been a while since I made these with my mom. She lives 3 hours away and so I'm rarely home for the holidays since I've become an adult. (Last holiday at home might have been in 2011?) Her and my Dad usually come to visit me during the week after Christmas before New Years instead.

The first Christmas I had with Hubby, a couple years ago now, my mom helped me and the step kids (who weren't officially the step kids yet) make cookies while she was visiting. It was a fun time reminiscing about baking together when I was little. I will certainly be making these cookies with my own kids in the coming years.

I couldn't wait for her or my step kids to arrive this year- my pregnant self needed the cookies NOW.


So here, to share with all of you is the recipe. It's available on the back of the holiday themed kisses this year, but I copied it from the modified recipe my mom gave me years ago. She likely got it from Hershey's too.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
48 Hershey's Kisses



Instructions:

Heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl- beat butter, sugars, and peanut butter until creamy.
This will require muscle power if you do it by hand with a wooden spoon like I do (I'm too cheap to buy a mixer since I would use it maybe twice a year).
Add egg, milk, and vanilla- beat well.

In a separate bowl- combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
This is a good spot for the kids to help- but flour tends to create a mess so be prepared for that.

Gradually add flour mixture to creamy mixture. Mix well.

Chill in fridge for a few minutes.
Skipping this step will make the next one more difficult and messy.

Use a 1 tablespoon measure to separate dough and roll into balls. Roll each ball in sugar coating then place on an un-greased cookie sheet.

Bake 9-10 minutes, remove from oven, place a single chocolate kiss in the center of each. Bake for another minute (just to make the chocolate melty).



Allow to cool completely on a wire rack (or several plates if you don't have one like me).

Hopefully your holiday season is full of sweet treats! What sort of cookies are your favorites? Is there a specific food that just screams "HOLIDAYS" to you? Share in the comments below.

Until next time,
Emma Leigh 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write Letters to my Stepchildren

Loving Through the Mess- Painting

Not Just Living for the Sun | Facing Depression with Human Connections