Being Thankful is the Key to Happiness





Our family got together for Thanksgiving on Friday this year. We had a wonderful afternoon. The big kids were feeding the birds in the yard and playing board games at the dinning table. Us adults were chatting about football and plans for our upcoming Yuletide get together. The food was fantastic, and everyone ate their fill. Our littlest (8 months) even missed nap without skipping a beat which meant I was able to relax even more than usual. The day felt filled with love. We never stopped to pray aloud or verbally give thanks, but you could feel the joy in the room and see the smiles. My world is pretty perfect.

And then I got home and opened the news. 

While my world today felt pretty perfect, the rest of the world is still very much not. Top of the page on Fox was this article. It's not real news. It's about a doctor (or at least someone claiming to be a doctor) on twitter giving reasons for why we shouldn't celebrate the holidays this year (or perhaps anymore at all?). Presumably under the guise of not spreading covid, the tweet's author, Esther, argues there are other "benefits" to not celebrating the holidays.


Dr. Esther lists the first "benefit" of skipping the holidays as "you don't have to endure Thanksgiving". Excuse me?

I just had the best day I've had all week by attending Thanksgiving, and at my mother-in-law's house no less. Perhaps it feels like something to endure in Esther's family, but I know better. 

Family and friends are the most important thing we are given in life, and spending time with them isn't something to just suffer through patiently. Using the word "endure" makes the holiday sound torturous, as if the act of being thankful for Esther is a chore she must get done in order to move on to the next task on her to-do list. What a sad way to look at the good things in your life.

The second benefit Esther touts is supposedly that you can eat yourself into a stupor any time of year. This is only true because of our modern society. Without modern convenience, surviving winter would still be a major struggle and having food to last the winter would be a real concern. Before modern transportation, the only time of plenty was the harvest season. With the current rate of inflation, most of us are grateful we can afford food this year. Esther might have the money or resources to stuff her face with turkey all year, but our family only eats this good on special occasions.

Third, winter travel happens. Not wanting to visit your family because it's winter is a dumb reason. It's winter here in the U.P. from October until May. It would be stupid to stop spending time with our family because it's snowing. Do we cancel plans if there's a blizzard? Sure, but only until the storm is over. Cancel the holiday entirely? Ridiculousness. We have entire events that require snow here. I've never had a Christmas without snow, and I don't plan to start.

Finally, Esther lists "no bad holiday-themed sweaters". I agree ugly sweaters kind of suck, but not enough to cancel Christmas. Instead of trying to cancel a holiday season meant to focus on appreciating our blessings, perhaps just don't wear the stupid sweater if you don't like it? Seriously, no one is forcing you to wear anything you don't want. Don't attend ugly sweater parties if that isn't your thing. I do not own an ugly sweater and have had zero problems in this regard.

The benefits Esther lists for skipping the holidays are not benefits at all.

Here's my solutions for Esther, on the off chance she'd like to enjoy the holidays more.

1. Family is all you really have in life. Death will eventually come and take them from you, and you from them. Endure giving thanks and their presence in your life as much as you possibly can, even if it isn't fun. You can't spend time with them later.

2. Don't eat yourself in to a stupor. It's totally not required to over-indulge while sharing a hearty meal with your loved ones. You can still appreciate the bounty in front of you without acting like it's worthless drivel unless you stuff your face. Stuffing face just for the heck of it is not why we eat a big meal on the holidays.

3. Winter weather happens. I personally don't like driving in the snow either, but I still go more than 100 miles to visit my parents every thanksgiving. It gives me tons of anxiety but the moments I spend with my family are worth being uncomfortable for a few hours. Suck it up, buttercup. The world doesn't care if you're a fragile snowflake.

4. Don't wear something you don't want to wear. Or, loosen up a little. It's okay to look goofy every now and then if you're also having a good time at a theme party. Alternatively, stay home. No one wants to party with the Grinch anyways.


I, personally, am very grateful this holiday season. Grateful for the good food which I ate until I was full, not stuffing my face. I'm thankful for my loving family (including the relatives I don't really like), my home, and most of all my time.

Time is all we really have, and today I was able to make the best of my time- with family and good food. I appreciate every bit of it, even if others don't appreciate their blessings.

Esther's tweet reminded me how sad some people are, and that life is really about how you look at it. So I hope you take a moment to remember what the season is for- appreciating what you have already and spending time on what's most important. A happy holiday season with those you love dear is well worth any miniscule risk covid is still posing. Stay home if you're actively sick with symptoms, but there's no need to stop celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas out of fear. Making a list of whiney complaints that are easily solved doesn't make an argument for cancelling fellowship. It just proves to everyone how sad you are on the inside. 

I wish you all a happy holiday season. I hope you are happier than Esther. Getting to gather and celebrate life is what it's all about so make the best of your time today. Give thanks, God bless.

Until next time,
Emma Leigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write Letters to my Stepchildren

Loving Through the Mess- Painting

Christmas Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

River Fishing With Hubby