How to Deal with Snowstorms

It's winter here in the Copper Country and that means SNOW.



To keep from going crazy, the fact of snow has to be embraced with open arms. This weekend we are predicted to get up to 15 inches or more of the white stuff, and since it's been snowing big fluffy flakes all morning-

Safe bet we will likely get the amount predicted.

At least we don't name our storms.

I was watching the weather channel at the doctor's office last week while I was waiting for my baby check-up. The people on the show were discussing a named winter storm out in the mountains and I laughed a little to myself. If we named winter storms around here, we'd run out of names.

Last I checked, the snow report total for Keweenaw County this year is already 167.3 inches (almost 14 feet). And it's still got a long way to go before winter is over.

The snow is inevitable- like death and taxes. So what's a person to do?

Play in it, duh.


Sure, we have to move it, drive in it, dress appropriately for it, but when it comes down to it- to survive 8 months of winter you have to be willing to love winter for what it's worth.

This year, since I'm pregnant, I'm not able to go sledding or skiing, and snowshoeing has gotten too tiresome in the past few weeks now that my due date is approaching. But that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying my winter. I love all the indoor cuddled up activities too.

I've made great progress on the sweater I'm knitting. I've read several good books. To be perfectly honest, I like watching the snow fall from inside.

And Hubby is LOVING this stormy weather. His main winter hobby is roof shoveling and this year there's been plenty of roof cleaning to keep him busy. He pouted all week about how it wasn't snowing... he didn't have to wait long for the weather to change.

The Keweenaw is beautiful but beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like winter- be a snow bird. This isn't the place to be if you can't find a way to love winter and the weather that entails.

So curl up indoors with a warm cup of coffee (or any beverage you like really) and watch the snow fall this weekend. Come Monday there will be plenty of fresh powder to play in (or just to shovel).

Until next time,
Emma Leigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write Letters to my Stepchildren

Loving Through the Mess- Painting

Christmas Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

River Fishing With Hubby