Snowshoeing While Pregnant

I finally got to use my new snowshoes!

For those of you who have been following along, you know from my previous post that everyone in our family got snowshoes this year for Christmas and I was ridiculously excited about it. The kids' reaction to them was as "meh" as I had figured it would be, but they both ended up out in the woods with Hubby for a few hours to try them out.

Snowshoeing Pregnant
Hubby and I's new snowshoes (and my baby bump)

Today I got the chance to strap on my pair and head out to the far edge of our property with Hubby when he got home from work. We didn't go all the way to the edge of the property since it drops down into a ravine. At 35 weeks pregnant I prefer flat surfaces, so we mostly strolled (can you stroll in snowshoes?) around our yard. But it was the farthest back on the property I've been since we bought the place so it was a fun adventure.

Keweenaw Snowshoeing


Now you're probably thinking that trudging through the snow in snowshoes at this stage of pregnancy sounds exhausting. Not going to lie, it kind of is. So here's some tips I have for enjoying the adventure but not feeling like you're going to die.

1. Drink some water before you go.

I practically live with a water bottle attached to me at this point, and within a quick waddle to the bathroom. So before you go, drink a full glass and take an extra bathroom break. This is easier if you do it before you get your winter gear on.

2. Wear your belly support band.

Just like shoveling (check out my tips for that here) you'll want your belly support band. The extra support is helpful when you're lugging not only your own weight, but also the belly weight. Of course, those ladies who aren't 3rd trimester pregnant could skip this one if they feel comfortable enough without it.

3. Don't travel far.

Hubby and I spent a grand total of 30 minutes out in the yard and didn't wander more than several hundred feet and back. The whole idea was just to get some fresh air- not go on an all day adventure. Like everything these days, slow and steady wins the race. The short jaunt accomplished the exercise without taking away every breath I had- and that was the goal.

4. Get help to put the snowshoes on and take them off.

I put them on myself, but Hubby had to help me undo the clasps when we got back to the driveway. I couldn't find a comfortable way to bend down, and that's okay! The beach ball of a belly is in the way and there is no shame in asking for help. That being said...

5. Don't venture out alone.

Now is not the time in life to be wandering in the woods alone. Especially in the winter. Having a companion to go with you is always a good plan.

6. Take  your time.

It's not a race. The great thing about snowshoeing is that it's basically just walking like a duck. And let's face it, I've been waddling around already. There was plenty of stops (almost every 20 feet), and Hubby and I chatted about our day as we went, so the stops didn't feel weird or out of place. We discussed some of the plans he has for specific trees on the property as we wandered about.

Winter can get long around here, and so if you don't find things to do outside- you will go insane. There won't be grass until late April- four months from now- so it's best to embrace the fun things that can be done in the snow. Skiing, skating, snowmobiling, etc tend to be off the table for us pregnant folks. Snowshoeing though is an option and one I fully suggest to anyone who's been inside too long. 

Not sure where to get snowshoes? 

Borrow some from a friend if you're not an avid user or rent them, but these Enkeeo ones from Amazon were the ones I've purchased for our family. I'm pretty happy with them so far, but we'll see how they hold up to long term use.

Not sure where to snowshoe?

Swedetown trails and the Michigan Tech trails are both good options if you want marked and groomed places. There's also the option of any and all public land. A word of caution though, the Keweenaw is full of abandoned old mine sites, so be wary of where you walk and avoid places with clouds of warm foggy air- those are old mine shafts and the warm air is coming from underground. I also recommend staying off the shore ice on Lake Superior. It's gorgeous so I understand the draw, but you don't want to fall through the ice and get trapped. Stick to the shoreline away from the beach and take in the view from a distance. McLain State Park is a good spot to check out the coast.

Regardless of where you go or how you get your hands on some gear, I highly encourage getting out and enjoying the winter season- even if you're pregnant. Of course, consult your doctor before doing physical activities such as this. I'm fortunate that I'm having an easy and healthy pregnancy but I realize not all women have this kind of mobility. Always do what's best for you and your baby.

Until next time,
Emma Leigh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Write Letters to my Stepchildren

Loving Through the Mess- Painting

Christmas Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies

River Fishing With Hubby